benefits to the company
- Tidy and safe workplace – 55%
- Higher efficiency / productivity (OEE) – 85%
- Savings – 85%
- Process optimization – 65%
- Loss reduction – 70%
- Flow of materials – 5%
- Supply logistics optimization – 5%
- Improving warehousing operations – 0%
TPM method - comprehensive productive maintenance
TPM method – Total productive maintenance or comprehensive productive maintenance is a method – project – mentality, which very intensively interferes with the habits and methods of work of both maintenance and production. A well-maintained fleet is the basis for high efficiency – productivity. The approach itself, the introduction of the method, depends on the correct strategy and setting up the organization TPM, which will take care of the gradual introduction of the method in the context of lean production. It is also crucial to choose the right TPM coordinator, who leads the internal project and takes care of the smooth work of all TPM teams. The responsibilities of the TPM coordinator depend on the size of the company and the intensity of the implementation itself.
We can say that this is 1. method in efficient production.
Use TPM methods
- Longer machine life
- Maximum utilization of the machine
- Greater efficiency of machines
- Faster tool change when changing products
- Less breakdowns, congestion, accidents and accidents – better reliability
- Less unplanned maintenance
- Senior OEE
- Lower production costs
- Higher morale (employees are “owners” of machines and are responsible for equipment maintenance, they are proud of their achievements)
- Better product quality (greater customer satisfaction)
- Eliminate small problems before moving on to larger ones
- Smaller stock of spare parts
- Lower operating costs
- Greater knowledge transfer between employees
- A cleaner, more orderly safe and ergonomic work environment – a safer work environment
- Improved company image
- Development of employee competencies
Key issues before implementing the method in the company:
What is the relationship between the maintenance and production departments?
Are maintenance processes subject to continuous optimization?
What is the cost-effectiveness of a maintenance system?
At what level is lean production?
Comprehensive productive maintenance (TPM method)
The TPM method originated in Japan. Our approach, which we use at Lean Solutions, combines Japanese proven practices and the European employee mentality, which is crucial for the successful implementation of the TPM method in the company. After all, the method is as successful as it is used together by maintenance and production workers. For many years we have been cooperating with the International TPM Institute from America, which adapted the Japanese TPM method to American and later European companies.
The key indicator in the implementation of the TPM method is the OEE (overall equipment effectiveness) indicator, as it shows the success in optimizing processes in the best way. Thus, all TPM teams have one of the key performance indicators, OEE. Each TPM team in the framework of the developed Lean Solutions of the mindset “my machine – my responsibility” takes care to reduce congestion and thus help increase OEE.
In order for a company to see the first results and the first optimization of processes, it needs a properly set approach to the TPM project. Every change of habit takes its time, so Lean Solutions introduces the TPM method gradually in three steps:
Lean Solutions Approach:
TPM method 1. step - pilot phase (TPM level 1)
Removes unnecessary items in the work environment, useless tools, unfinished products or excess material;
The first step in organizing and standardizing the 5S workplace is to focus on reducing unnecessary workplace items. Here, equipment, furniture and tools in the workplace are classified into 3 categories that are urgent , unnecessary in they may not be necessary . In addition, this step can also be useful with a “just in case” approach. Based on the method, the implementation of the 5S method should focus on the scope of objects that will be retained, removed, tested and moved. A key point is the dynamic control of the categorization process of any 5S space to ensure accuracy and focus.
TPM method 2. step - half extension (TPM level 2)
Identify and mark space for every thing needed daily in the workplace;
The term “Mark” is based on determining the effective storage of essential items, materials, accessories. He uses the idea of “If I see, I can take and I can give back” . By following this philosophy, we can save a lot of time and energy when we want to find something. An effective approach to begin this step is to plan the space where tools and equipment will return. It is very important that you really take into account the work being done at or around each station at this stage. This approach should be used to create the most appropriate and easiest areas for employees. In addition, the tools most often used by employees should be in convenient and easily accessible areas with minimal possible restrictions.
TPM method 3. step - full extension (TPM level 3)
Cleaning the workplace, setting cleaning dates
This step means cleaning the workplace on a daily basis so that there is no dust on the floor, machines or tools. With this approach, it is possible to create ownership and build pride among workers. In any case, there is no doubt that a clean job is a safer job. For example, if the floor is clean, free of dirt and debris, the risk of bumps, slips and falls, which are a very common source of injuries in the workplace, is reduced. It is advisable to post pictures in nearby areas showing a completely cleaned or “lit” workplace. It is also possible to use an information machine / line board (SFMl level 0), which shows instructions and steps for cleaning certain areas or equipment.
TPM Condition Analysis
- A 3-hour analysis of the current state of the TPM method level is performed
- Clearly shown potential for improvement
- Well-established parts of the TPM shall be evaluated and compared with the “BIC”.
- The evaluation takes place in production together with those agreed for the process
- All vital parts important for the stable operation of machinery and equipment are checked
- The questions are prepared on the basis of many years of experience with the introduction of the TPM method
- Finally, we make suggestions on the questions
- The company obtains useful advice in which direction or. the field must be targeted to raise the level of the TPM method
- The TPM workshop is conducted within 5 counseling days
- Within the workshop, an initial – pilot TPM level with measurable results is established
- All conditions for further expansion and / or entry into the TPM project are being prepared
- TPM project is several months or. multi-year introduction of the integrated TPM method.
- The project develops a strong culture that independently optimizes processes
- With or without independent interval verification by the International TPM Institute
Within the TPM project, we always propose the introduction of other methods, such as: VSM, TPM , 5C , Kaizen , SMED , SFM . …, As all methods complement each other and together with the right introduction form a real lean culture.
For more information contact us contact.